Friday, September 2, 2011

Classified For Sale Scams And Preventions


I have used all sorts of different free classified systems and Craigslist takes the crown when it comes to the number of email scams/cons I get.

How The Scam Works
If you've ever used Craigslist you should be familiar with the fraudulent cheque scams.  They usually begin with a variation of a poorly worded and often grammatically incorrect email asking the every famous and redundant question. "Is the item still available?"


Example Email:

Hello I'm Scott, I have interest in the purchase of your item and would like to know if its still available for sale, and would like to see more pictures of it. Thanks
The follow up usually results in another famous line often stating they are either out of town or unable to pick up the item in person. Not to worry; The scam artists will usually have a backup plan in the form of a delivery company to handle that portion of the transaction. To make the deal even juicier they will also offer you more than what you are asking for in the form of a "certified" cheque.

Example Email:

Thanks for your response, I am okay with the condition and price of the item. I want to buy it, and I'm paying with a Certified Check via next day delivery. Please take the item off craigslist so no other buyer can inquire about it. I will be responsible for the pick-up, Just to clarify I will be paying with a certified check which includes the funds of the arranged delivery company that will pick up the item. to avoid delay and to enable the pick up company to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location after check has been cashed as I have other properties to be moved alongside with yours. I would have really loved to come for the viewing but due to my work-frame that will not be possible, and that was the reason I requested for a pics. Please do get back to me with your
full name... and
address... (postal code)
your cell and land number... so I can make out payment.
Under normal circumstances certified means the money is cleared and is as good as cash. I used to work in the banking industry and I can tell you, beyond a doubt, that is not always the truth. When the cheque bounces it will be on you to pick up the cost of reimbursing the middlemen (Banks / Money Transfer Institutions) PLUS the cost of the bounce.



How To Beat The Scam
Always deal in person and only accept cash.  It's really just that simple.

How To Receive Less Scam Spam
In my postings I always specify that it is pick up only.  

Example Posting:
Pick up only.
Address: (your address)
Major Intersection: (your major intersections)
This doesn't always work if you're dealing with automated spammers that sift through listings for emails to spam. The answer is simply to use another service like Kijiji.ca where they have spam prevention implemented.

No comments:

Post a Comment