Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Right Tools For The Right Job

Beat Up Drill

Are you a weekend warrior / DIY'er who is looking to transform your current living space into one of those glamourous designs found only in an interior design magazine or on a website.  If so you will be needing the right tools to pull it off.

I first started with Ryobi tools because they looked great and it was relatively inexpensive to own the whole set. However, there is a price to pay and the age old saying of, "You get what you pay for." applies here.  I owned nearly the whole suite of tools from hand tools to router tables.  I was a big fan of the tools until one day the hammer drill died on me and in the process of burning out it took the battery with it.  I was just a few days past my warranty which added to my frustration of not being able to complete the reno. I decided I'd look into more pro rated tools as I've gotten used to DIY projects.

Rigid won me over with their lifetime warranty. Rigid was also slightly cheaper than DeWalt which was a bonus. Whatever DeWalt was Rigid would be anywhere from 15-20% cheaper than DeWalt.  After using the Rigid hammer drill I found I was drilling 3x more faster than the Ryobi hammer drill.  This meant the project was getting done faster and I wasn't getting as worn out.  Eventually the hammer drill died on a washroom renovation years later also taking the battery with it. I had a backup rigid hammer drill that I continued along with using and eventually the battery charger died.  Being inconvenienced by having only one charger I thought now would be a good time to get my tools looked at.

The moment of truth will Rigid honor the lifetime warranty or will they leave me out to hang. Long story short I found an authorized Rigid Tool Repairer on the Rigid website only 15 minutes away by using the search on the Rigid website and printed out my warranty info also from the Rigid website.  Most manufactures always ask you to retain some piece of paper from the tool box or receipt and I usually end up losing this or forgetting where I put it over the years.  Rigid does not hide from warranty claims and makes it easy for you to obtain your info through the website.

Almost a month later I get a call from A.J.V. Tools LTD. telling me my tools are ready for pickup. I was shocked to find that they gave me a new battery, a new charger, and a new motor + trigger switch for the hammer drill.  Pictures below shows how beat up the hammer drill looks but how shiny the motor and trigger looks.  Thanks Rigid for honouring the lifetime warranty.

New Battery

New Motor & Trigger

New Charger

No comments:

Post a Comment